The Hummingbird Centre Tips for Schools
Becoming an Attachment, Trauma, Adoption focused School.
- Staff fully understand the need to focus on vulnerable young people
- Training on barriers to learning- neuroscience & how trauma effects learning.
- Become curious about issues i.e look for underlying triggers to behaviour or attendance issues
- Collate individual needs, know the students!
- Who is best placed to provide the support i.e not always teachers
- Move behaviour management plans into more curious methods. Focus on the antecedents not the disruption caused
- Pick the battles! Not all are worth ‘winning’
- Work with parents/carers – understand how these behaviours impact on the home
- Support staff – Provide training, be mindful of secondary trauma, provide reflective supervision
- Adopt a whole school approach