What is a therapist?
A therapist or a counsellor is an individual who is trained and qualified in therapy. They will have supervision every month for a minimum of 1.5hrs and belong to a professional body ie bacp.co.uk . They will be insured to practice and follow ethical guidelines. BACP state:
“Therapy provides a safe and confidential space for you to talk to a trained professional about your issues and concerns. Your therapist will help you explore your thoughts, feelings and behaviours so you can develop a better understanding of yourself and of others.”
Counsellors guide but do not instruct. They cannot prescribe medication. They work to heal past traumas, limiting beliefs and encourage mental strength and stability.
What is a Coach?
According to the International Coaching Community (internationalcoachingcommunity.com,) coaching is:
- Helping a person change in the way they wish and helping them go in the direction they want to go.
- Supporting Coaching builds awareness empowers choice and leads to change.
- Unlocking a persons’ potential to maximise performance.
- Is about looking forwards at the goals a person wants to achieve. It is not about mental health or healing past traumas.
What do I need – A Coach or a Therapist?
This is a personal question based upon what your individual situation is. If you have unresolved trauma, familial issues or are struggling with depression and anxiety , then a Counsellor would be the first option, traditionally.
If your issues are work based or career based, then a Coach can really help you.
Best option- have both!
- Is your past getting in the way of your future? Am I Stuck_ Quiz
- Do you have issues with Imposter Syndrome? Imposter Syndrome
- Inner critic berating you daily?
- Relationship issues effecting you & your goals?
- Are you getting in the way of you? Improving Emotional Intelligence In The Workplacepdf
- Past toxic workplace relationship hindering you now? Toxic Boss Quiz
Then a Trauma informed Executive Coach could be your answer! A therapist who is also a coach can cross over the 2 worlds of therapy & Coaching. A trauma informed therapist can heal wounds of the past and help you to reach your potential going forwards. A sound understanding of neuroscience opens up a whole new set of tools to help you be where you wish to be.
Contact me to see how I can help!
I make every effort to ensure that advice on this website is accurate and up to date. As the advice is general in nature rather than specific to individuals I cannot accept any liability for actions arising from its use nor can I be held responsible for the content of any pages referenced by an external link.