Politics at Work is Unavoidable..
Politics, especially in recent years, can be a dirty word. The game of politics at work is unavoidable but how we conduct ourselves whilst in the trenches IS up to us. The better we understand ourselves and others, the less stress you feel & the more effective you become High Functioning Anxiety…Is This You?.
You Can still be You!
You can become the person you no longer recognise in the mirror (or like) or you can be effective but still true to yourself.
Tips to help:
These tips will remind you that you can be politically affective & still have principles!
- Set your own agenda & don’t follow the crowd. Learn from both positive & negative role models.
- Learn more about yourself & what makes you tick. What is important to you? What are your aims?
- Become more Emotionally Intelligent – this helps you understand yourself & others. It helps you to rise above conflict and understand the undercurrents.
- Network authentically – organically make connections that feel good & help your work objectives.
- Work well with others – be a key team member whose contribution is pivotal.
- Help others shine. It is ok to give credit to others when it is due.
- Learn how to shine yourself in a way that feels authentic to your values. Being visible is important in office politics but not at the expense of others.
- Turn up! Be on time, work hard, reach targets.
- Do your best job every day – work smarter not necessarily longer.
- Do not undermine others as this can backfire and become self sabotaging behaviour.
Sounds easy? It is often not easy!
See how I can help you to navigate the minefield of office politics more effectively.